Each week, we’ll highlight a major city in the US and cover the places and events you can go to in that area to get your security information fix. This post is part of the information security communities.
The Yellowhammer State is primarily about agriculture but there’s also a bit of a security community in here. Check out these local professional groups in the state.
- OWASP Montgomery Local Chapter – Meetings, as far as we know, are at the Strickland Building though there have been no recent updates on the schedule. You might want to join the mailing list to get more.
- North Alabama ISSA – The next meeting is actually today, December 9th at SAIC. Established in 2003, this ISSA Chapter has a lot of past presentations to look over plus you can read the newsletters.
- Central Alabama ISSA – Honored as a Chapter of the Year, this group meets at the Protective Center. It serves the Birmingham area and those close by.
- Infragard – There are chapters here at Birmingham, Huntsville and Mobile. Be sure to have your stuff in order though if you want to be part of this elite group.
- AITP Birmingham Chapter – Meetings are every 3rd Tuesday, and it needs an RSVP.
Local meetings are sadly not quite present here but there are a couple of hackerspaces.
- Antitronics – This is a hacker/maker space in Huntsville. They are in the middle of a transition so watch out for the new space!
- Makers Local 256 – Also another hackerspace in Huntsville. Check out the future events here.
There might be a few groups and events we missed. If so, feel free to chime in at the comments.