Each week, we’ll highlight a major city in the US and cover the places and events you can go to in that area to get your security information fix. This post is part of the information security communities.
Not quite as hyper as L.A. and a little too laid back compared to bustling San Fran, but San Diego has its own charms. No surprise then that there’s a significant presence of local professional groups.
- OWASP San Diego Local Chapter – Are pretty active and concluded a meeting just last month. For news on their doings, join the mailing list.
- SD ISSA Local Chapter – Just concluded a training event last week and a membership meeting wend down on the 11th These guys are very active and can be reached via Twitter. The chapter is also open to new members.
- ISACA San Diego Chapter – These guys meet once a month and the 19th has already been booked. Get n touch by opening the link.
- Infragard San Diego Chapter – They’ve got a meet on the 20th. For contacts and extra details, just open the link.
- AITP San Diego – National University, San Diego State, and U of San Diego all have student groups who are quite active. Open the links for the whole scoop on their doings.
Since there are lots of groups, there are definitely lots of local meetings too.
- San Diego 2600 – It’s at Regent’s Pizza, 4150 Regent’s Part Row #170. If you’re itching to, then don’t miss it. San Diego 2600 get together every first Friday of the month.
Woah! check out these hackerspaces.
- Nucleon – Haven’t done anything significant in a while. But they at least have an extensive back log.
- San Diego Hacker News Meetup – Quite the shadowy bunch. They do have a physical address though.
- HackerspaceSD – Another group who keep a really low profile. Try the link for interesting stuff.
There wouldn’t be much of a scene without security events.
- SANS Security West San Diego – It actually just finished yesterday, but just so you know it happened.
- ToorCon San Diego – Already wrapped last year but there’s another come October, so stay tuned on this front.
- CyberSecurity Symposium – Happens on May 17. An all day event at the Doubletree Hotel.
- BarCamp San Diego – A long running series that just concluded its first 2011 outing on January. Check the link for updates and registration for future meets.
- Security Day San Diego – A campus event at UCSD that happens at least once a year. The last installment was on November 2010, so expect its follow up on the same date this 2011.
There might be a few groups and events we missed. If so, feel free to chime in at the comments.