Each week, we’ll highlight a major city in the US and cover the places and events you can go to in that area to get your security information fix. This post is part of the information security communities.
There’s a small community of local professional groups in De Moines. Most of them are quite active, with a couple of events already concluded last month.
- ISSA Des Moines – Already wrapped a roundtable meet on January 24. Expect the same this month. For updates get in touch here.
- ISACA Iowa Chapter – The membership covers a 50 mile radius from the Des Moines HQ. Nothing planned for February yet. The chapter is still accepting new members who can join thru here.
- Iowa Infragard – Has a diversity of specialties to assist in Infragard’s ongoing partnership with the FBI and other government agencies. For contacts and inquiries on upcoming meetings go here.
- There are a couple of AITP student chapters from out-of-town universities. Scott Community College has an active student chapter who already have activities scheduled for this month and March. Join their mailing list here.
De Moines hackerspaces are nonexistent, but a handful are scattered in nearby cities.
- Feral Technology Institute – Described as a “cultural engineering entity” in central Iowa. They come up with lost of cool stuff.
- Hackerspace Ames – According to them “we make things and work on projects as a community.” They maintain a busy calendar.
- QC Co-Lab – Opened just last year. it’s near a technical college and enjoys a 4,000 square foot floor area. It’s immense.
Des Moines has one minor security event to its credit.
- DSMSec – Held every second Monday of the month in the same place. Go check the site for the schedule and venue. Casual is the order of the evening.
There might be a few groups we missed. If so, feel free to chime in at the comments.