Each week, we’ll highlight a major city in the US and cover the places and events you can go to in that area to get your security information fix. This post is part of the information security communities.
To most mainlanders, Hawaii means vacation time in the sun and relaxing with leis around their necks. For kama’aina, the islands are a source of great pride that goes beyond being a tourist destination. Here are a few local professional groups in the state.
- OWASP Hawaii Local Chapter – David Graham and Jim Manico are the heads (or Big Kahuna) of OWASP in the islands. Click here to get the mailing list.
- ISSA Hawaii – ISSA is host to the annual Discover Security Conference. You can become a member or contact them for more questions.
- ISACA Hawaii Chapter – This group which started in 1982 holds seminars and monthly luncheons. Take a look at their newsletter here and catch up with the latest news.
- InfraGard Hawaii – InfraGard is a a public-private partnership that aims to secure the nation’s infrastructure. Contact them for more info.
- AITP Honolulu – Founded in 1956, this chapter has around 60 members already. Visit the site to get the newsletter and check here for more news.
There are also local meetings held here though the one group has an inactive website.
- Hilo 2600 – Previous meetings were held every first Friday at Prince Kuhio Plaza. Better check out if they still do meet.
Hackerspaces are also present in the island.
- Planet Hawaii – We’re not entirely sure where this place is. Just check out the site to know more.
- Maui Makers – This group though looks pretty active with lots of posts on their blog. Know more through their Google group or wiki.
There was one single security event we could find .
- Shakacon – It was a great con in the islands last 2009. Maybe it will be back on next year.
There might be a few groups and events we missed. If so, feel free to chime in at the comments.
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Win Security, Michael Stanton. Michael Stanton said: Hawaii Security Community: Each week, we’ll highlight a major city in the US and cover the places and events you… http://bit.ly/edh9rE […]