Each week, we’ll highlight a major city in the US and cover the places and events you can go to in that area to get your security information fix. This post is part of the information security communities.
With BlackHat and DefCon in full swing, we thought it would be appropriate to highlight the security communities right here at Las Vegas. Sin City has a lot of talented infosec professionals calling it home and here are a few local professional groups in the area.
- ISSA Las Vegas – This chapter of ISSA holds monthly meetings at Cozymel’s in two formats. This month (and every other month), they meet over lunch to discuss topics of interest. On alternate months, they shift things a bit by doing on-site visits, training and demos. If you are ever in the greater Las Vegas area, drop them an email. Click here for some past presentations.
- AITP-LV – AITP is not strictly a security infosec organization but seeing that many of you actually do have day jobs in infotech professions, we are going to include them here on out. The group holds monthly meetings which collects a minimal fee. Click here to join.
- ISACA Las Vegas Chapter – Founded in 2005, this chapter of ISACA has approximately 100 members according to its site. You can check out their resource page here or join through the main ISACA page.
- InfraGard Southern Nevada – This is the local group of the nation’s largest volunteer organization for critical infrastructure protection. Apply to this organization or check out their past meetings.
Sadly, we weren’t able to find any local meetings of a more informal nature. If you know of a group, let us know. There is one hackerspace or sorts though:
- Emergency Arts – No formal site yet but it does bring together a lot of unique folks under one roof. Go check it out.
- DorkbotLV – The group is looking to create their own space as well. Read more.
To end, here are the major security events that take place in the city.
- DEFCON 18 – The event that needs no introduction. If you want to know the biggest and latest in security, this is the place to be. And if you missed out this year’s festivities, there’s still next year but remember to register early, very early, to get in.
- BlackHat – The other must-not-miss-event in Las Vegas. It just concluded and had lots of juicy stuff to spill (corporate-sponsored darknets, anyone?) so make sure to get a reservation to next year’s event.
- BSides Las Vegas – This side event coincides with the Black Hat and DefCon. They take pride in being able to let people who aren’t able to present in the other big events to showcase their work. If you can’t afford Black Hat or want to make the most of your pre-DefCon experience, register for this event the next time around.
- SANS WhatWorks: Legal Issues and PCI in Information Security – September 20 is the date of this set of talks on PCI compliance and other related issue.
If you want to know more about the infosec events or groups in Las Vegas, you know where to contact us.
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Roer.com – the Blog!, Avnet SolutionsPath™ and Roer.com – the Blog!, Anupam Kakroo. Anupam Kakroo said: Las Vegas Security Community http://bit.ly/dqRgRa #Security […]