Each week, we’ll highlight a major city in the US and cover the places and events you can go to in that area to get your security information fix. This post is part of the information security communities.
To call Hartford idyllic would be an understatement. It’s a big city with a small town atmosphere. A post-modern state capital with 300 years of history. There’s also lots of local professional groups.
- OWASP Hartford Local Chapter – Thanks to its proximity to other chapters in nearby states, OWASP Hartford are busy most of the year though nothing has been planned for 2011 yet. Click here to join their mailing list.
- ISSA Connecticut Chapter – A state-wide rather than city-specific group, the last time ISSA Connecticut had a meeting was October 2010. For updates just visit the link or get in touch with the Board here.
- ISACA Connecticut Chapter – Will be participating in the Boston SecureWorld Expo later this month, details here. Keep tab of their activities via LinkedIn or email.
- InfraGard Connecticut – Have just concluded their quarterly meeting yesterday but don’t fret because these guys are pretty active. Get in touch here or just visit the link.
- Connecticut AITP – Just a couple of student chapters from ECSU and Quinnipiac U who have nothing on their agendas at the moment.
Thanks to the active professional community, you can also look forward to a few local meetings.
- CT2600 – They last met in 2010 and had no succeeding meet ups since then. Still, it would help to subscribe to their RSS for possible updates.
There are no hackerspace in Hartford but neighboring cities have ample abodes for such like-minded individuals.
- CT Hackerspace – This Waterbury-based group just concluded their first meeting of the month early this week. Get in touch via Facebook, Twitter, and good old fashioned email.
- NESIT – Just a stone’s throw away from Hartford, this Meriden-based group maintain a busy schedule and can be reached via Facebook, Eventbrite, or Twitter. They also have an informative wiki.
- NLON Labs – Actually a makerspace that opened its doors last year. You can get in touch here.
- Coming soon… – Word’s out that another space is opening in Waterbury. Info is scant at this point, so we’re just letting you know.
Let’s not forget to mention a security event or two.
- Boston SecureWorld Expo – It’s happening at nearby Boston, Mass. but more than a few Hartford infosec pros will be attending.
There might be a few groups and events we missed. If so, feel free to chime in at the comments.